- The thing that plugins plugin to!
- Extension Point
- A well defined place where new functionality and/or data can be contributed to an application.
- Extension (aka Contribution)
- An actual piece of functionality or data that is contributed (this is why extensions are often known as contributions). Think of ‘extension points’ as the ‘where’ and ‘extensions’ as the ‘what’.
- Extension Registry
- The place where (by default) all of the extension points and their associated extensions are stored.
- In Envisage, a service is any object that a developer thinks is sufficiently useful to want to share it.
- Service Registry
- The ‘yellow pages’ style mechanism that is used to publish and look up services.
The mechanism for delivering new functionality to an application. A plugin can do 3 simple things:
- offer extension points
- make contributions to extension points (including its own)
- create and publish services
- Plugin Manager
- Finds, starts, and manages the plugins that make up an application.